Thursday, March 01, 2007

Everyone Loves a Snow Day!

My students have frequently said that they think I probably hate summers and snow days because I can't be at school. They really are smarter than that, aren't they?! Today was a much needed (and very unexpected) day off considering that I haven't slept in days. While most people tell me that I won't get any sleep after the baby arrives, our neighbor Sara said she slept like a rock afterward. Thank God for Sara; she gives me hope.

I've been very delinquent in my blogging, but I have an excuse -- we've been focusing our efforts on finding daycare lately. That is no easy task, is it?! It's definitely been the most stressful aspect of this pregnancy. After our first interview, I didn't know if my hesitations were with the provider or if they were just general fears about leaving my child with someone I barely know. These are the times when I wish we lived down the road from my parents (who have repeatedly said they'd do day care for us if we lived close -- I think they even offered to buy us a house down there at one point). Anyway, we went on three interviews. I felt like Goldilocks -- one was absolutely fantastic (but didn't have an opening), one was unbelievably horrible (seriously -- I can't believe we spent an entire half hour there), and one was "just right". Well, maybe. We both feel confident that our infant will be well cared for with this provider. I just know that I'd like more of a curriculum for my toddler (when we reach that point). Always the teacher, right? Until then, I'll just have to provide as much stimulation as I can at home. Regardless, I think Ryan and I are both breathing a little easier knowing that our daycare situation is settled.

The Webers (hosted by my sisters-in-law, Mandy and Missy) threw me yet another great shower recently. Everyone decorated onesies, and I played Randy, Simon, and Paula (to judge them). They were all so cute, but I had to side with one saying "Teacher's Pet". Once again, I am blown away by the generosity of the people who surround me. Ryan and I are now well-stocked for this baby.

In addition, the sixth grade team at school threw me a surprise shower this week. Was I really surprised? Well, I brought paperwork to do during the meeting if that tells you anything. In addition to a beautiful blanket and books, they got me the "point and shoot" video camera I've been eyeing up. It hooks right into the computer so we can e-mail video to everyone (namely Grandma and Grandpa). Unfortunately, my parents haven't been able to view the videos we've sent, so we're still working on that. I think it will be such a cool thing once we figure it out! I work with some phenomenal people, I tell you! While I'm on the subject of school . . . we finally got my long term sub situation figured out. That's been another big stressor. Now I just have to clean up my room, and I think I'll feel prepared to leave. I'll really miss the kids, but everyone tells me that will fade once I meet my daughter.

We are due two weeks from yesterday (according to the revised due date based on ultrasound). I think I'm working through my denial, having finally packed a bag for the hospital. I feel so silly doing that, like I'm not REALLY going to need it or something. I suppose I should take a lesson from Jessy (Ryan's cousin) who had an unplanned c-section yesterday. She went in for a regular appointment and found out the baby was breach so they decided to go for it. That evening they welcomed baby Isabella to the family. She was due the day AFTER me! Reality check, right?! I'm watching the snow fall outside and hoping that my colleagues are wrong when they tell me that storms bring on babies. I'm just not sure I'm ready for labor and delivery quite yet. I know -- I never will be, will I?

0 comments: