Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Initiation of a New Mommy




I'm trying to train Mira to leave barrettes in her hair as her bangs are continually in her eyes. A friend of my mom's said that her granddaughter ended up eating (and passing) two of the same barrettes. Ryan says we should just cut her bangs, but I can't bring myself to do it.




Someday I hope Mira is fully aware of just how many people love her. We were finally able to get together with Aunt Sandy (Mira's Godmother) and Uncle Peter to exchange Christmas gifts. While you can't tell in this picture ("Seriously, Mom? Enough with the camera. You're distracting me from reaching my full star potential!"), Mira is madly in love with her newest toy. She pulls up on it to dance, laughs at herself in the mirror, and shakes the rattle/microphone like there's no tomorrow. I've tried to get video, but she's on to me.

Here's Mira spreading the love after opening her Christmas gift from Aunt Sandy. Notice the baby doll. The poor thing has really been through the wringer already. She's been dropped in dishwater, vomitted on, and laundered many times. I had forgotten we had her, and the very first time I gave her to Mira, the thumb instantly went to the mouth, and she laid down to sleep. Needless to say, we don't leave home without her.
It has been a long week. A very long week. On Monday I got a call saying I needed to pick Mira up from daycare because she was vomitting. She vomitted the second I stepped in the door at day care, in the car, on me, and all over several pairs of pajamas. Although she stopped vomitting Monday night(aside from a few isolated relapses), she continued to refuse food and liquid -- all week. Following a "not-so-well-child" visit to the pediatrician, we've had daily phone chats with him. He said that if she wasn't eating or drinking by Monday, he'd want to do tests at the hospital. I don't know how those statements affect most other people, but my stress level shot straight through the roof. Luckily, she's drinking bits at a time now and is eating small helpings of yogurt (and ONLY yogurt -- even spitting out the tiny strawberry chunks in it). I've known that I love this little girl from the beginning, but my Lord. It has been miserable watching her be sick. To add to the fun, Ryan was hit with what seemed to be the 24-hour flu yesterday. Despite my throbbing head cold, I was the healthiest of the bunch. Here's hoping that we're a house on the mend. This picture is a shot of one of Mira's energy bursts while she was sick -- straight to the musical stage once again! Don't you think we should all get fairy skirts like that when we're sick?!

2 comments:

MC said...

I hope you all feel better soon. It's the worst watching your little one get sick and you can't do a thing for them. Hang in!

Jess said...

What a little cutie! Barrettes huh? Well I don't think we'll have to worry about those for a LONG time. Thankfully we haven't had to deal with vomit yet. Sorry to hear everyone at your house has been feeling so yucky. :-(