Thursday, July 19, 2007

And Now I Know . . .


...why most people don't spoon feed babies in bouncy chairs! I know. Seems like common sense, doesn't it? Let me assure you that Mira had a smashing good time though. And really? Isn't that all that matters? It seems that Mira's new favorite thing to do is to play with her bottle rather than to use it to eat. She bites it, pushes it out of her mouth, talks with it in her mouth -- basically does anything but suck on it. Granted, there are still the occasional peaceful bottle sessions, but they've become few and far between. So today I decided that it was time to try cereal. She'll be four months old tomorrow. Now I know that they say you should wait as long as you can (at least that's what I've been told), but I thought maybe all the bottle fuss was trying to tell me something. Now I knew that the bouncy seat may not be the optimal choice for feeding, but I also knew it'd only be a bite or two, so I didn't see the point in moving all the way over to the high chair (yes, a full 20 feet away). Therein lies my mistake. Trying to get ones first bite of mushy cereal into an endlessly bouncing (and, I might add, closed) mouth is not for the faint of heart. It was, however, comical. How did it go? I'm not sure. I didn't notice the whole "tongue thrust" thing where she shoves it right back out of her mouth. I did, however, only use the teeny-tiniest little bites, so I may not have seen her shove it back out if she had. She seemed to like it, but again, who knows. I'm not sure if I should continue trying or if I should wait until her next pediatrician's appointment. We'll see what new bottle tricks she comes up with and go from there, I guess.
In other news, Mira has now started saying "mmmm". Perhaps all that "mamamama" on my part is starting to pay off!

0 comments: