Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Ah, Motherhood




My intent with this blog once Mira was born was to use it to document her growth and development and my thoughts on being her mother. I'm not doing so well with that, am I? In truth, I just completely underestimated this new role I have. Motherhood -- it's tough! It's exhausting and stressful and absolutely beautiful. My daughter is amazing. I realize that all mothers think this, but I look at her and catch myself tearing up. I can't believe how incredibly lucky I am to finally have her in my life.

Don't get me wrong -- we have our moments of frustration too. Mira is a very dramatic little girl. She wants things the way she wants them. Mostly, she wants to be held and bounced and walked around. All the time. I think I'm starting to figure her out though. For instance, her ugly cry usually means that she's hungry. And her really ugly cry means that she's about to fall asleep but just doesn't want to. She's also very theatrical with her hands. I know, I know -- she's really just trying to figure out how to control them, but I swear there's more to it than that. She's given us the old "talk to the hand" gesture on numerous occasions. Today I swear she "cooed" at me. Okay, so she was probably just warming up to a scream, but I like to think it was a coo anyway.

Mira has already had her first chiropractic adjustment. Call me crazy, but it's helped. A lot. She doesn't cry nonstop now. We had an ugly week or so where all she did was scream. Now her crying jags are limited and purposeful. I can live with that. Jolyn (my chiropractor) is a miracle worker. Mira slept right through the adjustments and has been a much more mellow baby ever since. Oh, and you should see this girl's neck muscles (Mira, not Jolyn). =D I can't believe how well she's doing with holding her head up despite her hatred for tummy time. What'd I tell you? She's amazing.

0 comments: