Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Little Eila Hope

On Tuesday, May 4th (Grandma's birthday), we were blessed to meet our second beautiful daughter, Eila Hope. Her entrance into the world was, thankfully, rather uneventful and quick. She was born at 1:50 pm, weighing 7# 6 oz, and measuring 19 1/2 inches. Following several moments angry screaming, she has proven to be a very content, mellow little girl. Impatient as ever, I asked to be released from the hospital the next day, and we were home in time to pick Mira up from daycare. When we picked her up, Mira asked if her baby "sisser" had to go back to the hospital. When we said no, that she was coming home with us, Mira jumped up, said, "Bye Dina!" and was ready to go!


We felt very lucky to have my family join us over the days that Eila was born. Their visit provided much needed stability for Mira while we were at the "hospitattle" (in Mira-speak), and it was wonderful to have them meet Eila so soon after her birth - to say nothing of the homemade meal I came home to. Now I'm just anxious for their next visit!



All in all, I think Mira has adjusted well to her new role in our family. She is very loving toward and helpful with Little Eila. That said, she seems to be struggling a little with insecurity, at times becoming very emotional and clingy. This morning, we saw a new side of our Mira. After eating a small box of raisins, she threw the box on the floor. When I asked who threw the box on the floor, Mira immediately said that her "baby sisser" had done it! When I asked how this had happened, Mira explained that Eila had jumped out of her baby swing, crossed the room, and committed the crime. When asked if she was just pretending or if she was lying, Mira reported that she was only pretending and admitted her guilt. And the sibling rivalry begins.

Aside from one instance of Eila fasting (she refused to eat for almost twelve hours yesterday), resulting in a trip to Urgent Care, she has transitioned to the outside world well. I am, of course, eager to return to sleeping in my own bed again, but I know that will come in time. This weekend, we will have Eila's first pictures taken. I am so eager to have pictures of this new little angel to hang on the wall. Our family feels so complete.

In other news, we have yet another new "baby". In case you hadn't heard, we moved to our new home exactly one week before Eila was born. Never let it be said that we lack bravery - this was quite the undertaking so close to delivery. We could not have done it without the help of several friends and family members. Once again, my mother was invaluable, staying nearly two weeks to do daycare, pack, move, and unpack. We would never be as settled as we are without her help. Slowly but surely, we are making it less of a house and more of a home.

0 comments: