Wednesday, September 05, 2007

My Little Reader


I've always heard people talk about the book "Goodnight Moon" but had never read it myself. Now I can literally recite it from memory. Mira and I read it at least once a day. I love it when she turns the pages for me. Actually, she fights me for control of the book on a regular basis, so I've started letting her play with one of our copies. Here she is "reading" on her own. Notice the toe grip she's got going on. She's still my little monkey.
.
Mira went on her first picnic tonight. I couldn't believe how content she was. She laid on a blanket and rolled around, playing with a couple of toys the entire time. She even got to put her feet in the lake. We had brought a swimming diaper in case the water was warm enough to have her go for a dip, but we decided against it. We'll save her first swimming experience for the hotel stay in Rochester we have coming up.
.
I'm a little nervous that Miss Mira is going to get kicked out of her wonderful new daycare. On a daily basis, I hear about how "sad" she was. Molly says that she cries really hard whenever she isn't being held. I've talked to Molly about this, saying that I'm not surprised because she's had my undivided attention for five months and telling her that I realize it will take a period of adjustment before Mira gets used to the arrangement. Molly says that she's fine with that but that she "just wants her to be happy". I hadn't really worried about it until today when Molly said that she hopes it gets better because she'd "really like Mira to be able to stay". Hmmm. Does that mean she's going to get the boot if she doesn't stop crying? Somehow I don't think it bodes well for the school years if my child gets kicked out of day care after eight days.
.
On the food front, Mira is now an old pro. She's eating rice, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, peas, and bananas. I know, I know. I didn't wait until she was six months old like I said I would. She just seemed to be getting bored with the cereals. When she has allergies later in life, you can all told me you told me so. So far she's liked everything she's tried. I suppose I should have known she wouldn't be a picky eater when she first tried sucking on my toes, right? Oh, and we've finally graduated to the size two bottle nipples. Molly was happy about that as it took her bottle time from roughly half an hour (factoring in all the playing with the bottle) to about ten minutes. Well, I hear my sweet girl getting fussy with Daddy. It must be time for more "Goodnight Moon".

2 comments:

Jess said...

Hey Michelle,
I'm sure the daycare situation will begin to work itself out in no time. Maybe a ride on the swing - Mira looks so content in the pictures you posted last week.
Hope all is well.

Jess

Anonymous said...

Wow Michelle - Mira is beautiful as ever! It is so much fun reading with them, isn't it. Matthew loves his "Hug" book. I am sure the day care thing will work out just fine. Hang in there!!