Monday, February 05, 2007

She Looks Like Mommy!

Well, the good doctor granted us our third ultrasound today. They are so much fun! Although I have to admit that we weren't very good at deciphering much today (Ryan and I -- Dr. L seemed to know exactly what we were looking at). We did see a very strong heart, her umbilical cord, one hand complete with fingers, and two very sharp elbows. Okay, we couldn't really see that they were sharp, but take my word for it. Some days I swear she's trying to tunnel out of there. Oh, and we also confirmed that she is, indeed, a she. Thank Goodness! There's an awful lot of pink in this house! We were also able to see that she is head-down. I was sure she was transverse (sideways) due to the strong jabs I regularly receive way to the side. The whole point of the ultrasound was to check her weight and the amniotic fluid level. Her fluid level is good, and we were even able to watch her suck in and expell the fluid (breathing movements). Her weight? Well, she's a big girl! She weighed in at an estimated 5 lbs 3 oz. Already. Oy. Dr. L says we'll keep an eye on her size to make sure that she can be delivered vaginally. It's not sounding fun at the moment, but I'm hoping to steer clear of a c-section. Long story short (or not so short), he bumped her due date up to March 14th based on her size. Grandpa (Behrens) says that I should hold my breath long enough to deliver on March 15 -- his birthday. On the other hand, Ryan thinks that if I eat enough Twinkies, she could come on his birthday (March 8th). Dr. L says she's a beautiful baby. I say she must look like her mommy! =D

My prego brain continues to haunt me. This morning I forgot my lunch (or various parts thereof) in various places four times before getting it all in the lounge at school. That meant an extra trip out to the car (in -20 degree weather no less) and a couple of laps up and down the 1/4 mile hallways. Needless to say, I was huffing and puffing like the big, bad wolf. Another episode: I was sick this weekend. I didn't even work on Friday. I was miserable (with a cold undoubtedly gifted by one of my lovely sixth graders), but I wanted cookies. Hot from the oven cookies. Luckily, the St. Mary's M.Ed. development team gave us "cookies in a jar" for the holidays. All I had to do was add butter and eggs. Any sick fool can do that, right? That's what I thought too. Nope. It said 1.5 sticks of butter. I used two. My cookies were about 1/8 of an inch thick and as greasy, greasy, greasy! Yes, I still ate them. That may explain this little girl's weight!

Tonight is our last prenatal class -- car seat safety. I'm hoping someone will explain how to get this thing secured in our cars, because I can't make heads or tails of it (man am I heavy in the cliches tonight). I'm not even sure I can fasten all six (SIX!) parts of the safety harness (is that what it's called? ...the seat belt for baby) in it! We also have our first day care interview this week. I hope we love, love, love her so we can stop looking. She only does care for the children of teachers so she can have summers/holidays off. It would be nice not to have to pay for those times, so we're hopeful. She does care for a couple of teachers at school, and they rave about her, so my hopes are high.

Amendment: The day care provider with whom we had an interview just called to "reschedule". Apparently she may no longer have an opening as one of her current clients "may be" pregnant. What's THAT?! Aren't you pregnant or not pregnant? Are we really being put on the reserve list for a POTENTIAL pregnancy? I probably shouldn't be, but I'm just irritated -- more at myself for not scheduling more interviews but still. ARGH! Now I have to start the search all over again.

March 14th, huh? That's only five and a half weeks away! Can you believe it?! I can hardly wait!

0 comments: