Monday, January 08, 2007

Showered with Kindness

I have to be honest. I am not a fan of showers (as in the parties, not those with water -- I really do like those) -- especially when they are my own. Something about the focus being on me just makes me tense. I think it's my complete lack of small talk talent that does me in. Therefore, driving to Wisconsin this past weekend for a shower had the potential of being mildy traumatic for me. I have to tell you, though, that Kathy (Mom and Dad's neighbor) threw me the most fantastic shower ever. Honestly. Kathy is a meticulous planner, so everything was so thoughtfully (and beautifully) done. In addition, I was in the company of so many fantastic women that my fears were immediately forgotten. I know that I must be one of the most fortunate people alive. There have been so many instances in my life that confirm this fact, and this shower (and the remarkable women who attended) was but one of them. Alas, I find myself in a quandary (holy Language Arts teacher). How does one adequately show appreciation? I find that saying thank you and sending a note feel hugely insufficient. Suffice it to say that I am awash in gratitude and overwhelmed by the kindness of others.

That felt very formal, so I will now revert to my usual banter. Every class period my students start with independent reading. I, too, spend that time with a book -- usually in my rocking chair. This afternoon I was reading in my chair when I noticed that my gigantic belly was moving. The whole thing. On its own. I watched ripples go across it and even saw it change shape entirely at one point. I hate to admit it, but I got a little freaked out. I e-mailed Ryan to tell him that I'm pretty sure my belly has been taken over by an alien, but he only threatened to print that message and show it to our daughter in the future. Did anyone watch "Mork and Mindy" growing up? Remember the alien baby that hatched from the gigantic egg? I'm not entirely convinced that that's not what we're dealing with here.

I think this week is officially "nursery week" at our house. The carpets get cleaned on Wednesday; we pick up the crib on Thursday; and Ryan says he's assembling the furniture (crib and bookshelf/bench) over the weekend. Hopefully the glider and ottoman will be delivered soon. I'm so anxious to just sit in the nursery and daydream about the arrival of this little miracle in our lives. I know it will change us in ways we can't even imagine. I get so weapy just at the thought of her. What a blessing she is!

0 comments: