
Grandma and Grandpa had cookies ready and waiting to be decorated when we arrived for Christmas. Knowing how much Mira loves to shake things (think salt and pepper), they had stocked up on a wide assortment of sprinkles just for Mira's decorating pleasure.
.
.
I can't even explain how much more fun Christmas was this year. Mira got it: she understood the unwrapping of presents and, frankly, would have made my Grandma Behrens proud. She averaged about five minutes to unwrap each gift. She tore teeny, tiny pieces and ran each one to the garbage before continuing. This only strengthens my notion about impending OCD issues.
.
Highlights of our time at home included:
.
1. Dancing with Mira in front of "Douglas Fir," a motion-activated, singing tree. In a full week, she didn't tire of dancing with Douglas.
.
2. Watching Mira cover cookies with more sprinkles than previously thought possible.
.
3. Catching my child steal Christmas bread from the table and seeing her face when she realized she'd been caught.
.
4. Trying to encourage Mira to eat spaghetti without first sticking it up her nose (all in front of dinner guests).
.
5. Watching Uncle Jason read to Mira.
.
6. Watching my parents interact with their Granddaughter. There is simply nothing better.
.
It's been a difficult transition back to Minnesota (for both mother and daughter). Mira is entirely out of sorts and seems to have developed a sudden and strong case of separation anxiety, wanting to be carried everywhere. I'm hopeful that it's a phase and not the Terrible Twos.
.
On a more positive note, Mira showed me her matching skills this morning. Using her new "Fairy Snap" game, I laid out four different fairy cards. Then handing Mira one card at a time, I asked her where the matching cards went. She consistently laid the cards on the matching piles. I'm sure this is entirely normal, but I was ridiculously amazed. I'll sign off now so I can go call MENSA.



0 comments:
Post a Comment